How much water should I drink to lose weight, have you ever asked yourself this question? If you’ve ever tried to lose weight, then you should know how important water is. So grab your water bottle and keep reading. You’ll find out why drinking water is important below!
Water Boosts Your Metabolism
Water is involved in every cellular and bodily function of your body. When you are dehydrated these effect your metabolism and everything runs less smoothly. But that begs the questions, what is metabolism? Essentially metabolism is a series of chemical reactions that take place within your body.
In this study published by the US national Library of medicine, it show that:
- Men and women who drink 500 ml of water showed an increased metabolic rate by up to 30%.
- This increase occurred within 10 minutes after drinking water and reached a maximum after 30 to 40 minutes.
- In men mainly lipids fueled the increase in metabolic rate
- In women carbohydrate was mainly used at the fuel source to increase energy expenditure
- Drinking 2 liters of water per day would increase energy expenditure by approximately 400 kJ.
Drinking water helps you eat less
Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between being hungry or thirsty. The next time you feel hungry try drinking a glass of water instead of eating a snack. Drinking a glass of water before eating a meal actually makes you feel more full. I personally eat less per meal by drinking a glass of water before hand.
For example, a study showed that people who drink water before a meal ate on average 80 calories less per meal. This doesn’t sound like a lot, but it can add up fairly quickly. This can easily translate up to a few thousands calories consumed less per year.
Water is Good for your Digestive System
Feel bloated and getting stomach aches? Drinking water allows your kidneys to function properly and prevents you from getting constipated.
The body is made up of around 60 percent water. It helps flush toxins, nutrient transportation and temperature control.
How Much Water Should I Drink to Lose Weight
It honestly depends on your size and activity level. Most doctors suggest anywhere between 8 to 12 glasses per day. Personally, this is more than enough for me and maybe a little too much. This is a great starting point for anyone starting out. There are two scenarios in which you will probably need more water:
- You live in a high climate area like Arizona
- You have high level physical activity levels
Under these conditions you’ll just have to adjust accordingly. I personally live in a cold and hot area, so eight to twelfth glasses of water is more than enough.
Another good top is to look at the color of your urine after going to the bathroom. Below is a good chart that can accurately determine your hydration levels. The brighter the urine the more hydrated you are.
I’m Having Trouble Consuming My Full Water Intake
In this case, you can follow some my tips below. I’ve personally tried all these myself so I know they work great. They are:
- Carry a water bottle around with you to fill up
- Spread your water intake throughout the day
- Make a habit of drinking a glass first thing in the morning
- Switch a cup of your other beverages for a glass of water
- Have a glass before your meals
- Eat water enrich foods like watermelon
- Use an app to track your water progress (Water Drink Reminder is a good app)
- Invest in a cool water bottle
- Infuse your water with fruits or herbs
- Eat spicy food
How Much Water Should I Drink to Lose Weight Conclusion
Now you know that drinking water is important go and drink up! If somebody asked you, how how much water should i drink to lose weight, what would your answer be?
If you feel overwhelmed at the amount of information that I provided, feel free to drop a comment below. I hope you enjoyed my post on how much water should I drink to lose weight.